SSC Combined Graduate Level (CGL) examination 2019 is only some months away. It is high time the candidates start their preparations to qualify the examinations to be recruited in Group B and Group C posts in the Government of India. The SSC CGL tier-1 examinations will be conducted in the month of March and the tier-2 dates have been slated in the month of June.
SSC CGL examination is held in four phases. To crack all the phases and ensure a job in the Central Government, the candidates need to have a thorough study plan. The significant requirements to have a concrete study plan are: the latest exam pattern of SSC CGL examination and detailed knowledge of the syllabus of all the four phases. So, to assist the candidates we have provided the SSC CGL syllabus of tier-1 and tier-2 with the latest exam pattern.
SSC CGL Tier-1, Tier-2, Tier-3 and Tier-4 Exam Pattern
The SSC CGL examination is conducted on an annual basis by the Staff Selection Commission and consists of four stages. The latest exam pattern of the SSC CGL examinations have been provided in the tabular form below:
|Tier||Type of Examination||Mode|
|Tier-1||Multiple Choice Format||Online mode|
|Tier-2||Multiple Choice Format||Online mode|
|Tier-3||Descriptive Paper (Hindi or English)||Pen and paper mode (Offline mode)|
|Tier-4||Computer Proficiency Test or Data Entry Speed Test||Wherever applicable|
|Document Verification||Applicable for all qualified candidates|
SSC has made certain changes in the examination pattern in the past few years. Apart from having an idea on the SSC CGL syllabus, the candidates also require to have the current updates on the exam pattern. The candidates must note the important points mentioned below:
- The time duration of SSC CGL Tier-1 is 60minutes and the total number of questions are 100.
- Tier-2 is conducted in the online mode and consists of four papers and the time duration of each paper is 60 minutes.
- Tier-3 is a descriptive exam where the total time duration that a candidate will be provided is 60 minutes.
- No sectional cut-off has been introduced by the SSC in CGL examinations.
SSC CGL Syllabus for Tier-1, Tier-2, Examinations
After the candidates have come to terms with the latest exam pattern of SSC CGL, the next step would be to have a detailed knowledge on SSC CGL syllabus. The syllabus of all four phases of SSC CGL examinations has been given below:
SSC CGL Syllabus for Tier-1
SSC CGL Tier-1 comprises four sections, each section having 25 questions. The total marks of the examination is 200. The sections are divided on the basis of the subjects. The four subjects included in SSC CGL Tier-1 examinations are:
- General Awareness
- General Intelligence
- Quantitative Aptitude
- English Language and Comprehension
SSC CGL Syllabus For General Awareness
This section tests the students on subjects like history, geography, science, economics, environmental science, etc. Questions from current affairs are also asked in this section. Some of the important topics from general awareness are:
- History: Harrapa Civilization, Indian Freedom Movement, Chronology of Medieval India, Important ancient temples of India
- Geography: Climate and soils of India, India and its neighbouring countries, airports and famous seaports, BRICS, IMF, World Bank, etc.
- Polity: Courts, different parts and schedules of the Constitution, national political parties, preamble, fundamental rights and writs.
- Science: Inventions and inventors, S.I units, properties of liquids, solids and gases, Nutrition, chemical and physical change.
- Miscellaneous: Sports and important individuals related to the same, Nobel Prize, Academy Awards, Population Census, etc.
- Computer: Input and output devices, development of computers.
SSC CGL Syllabus for Reasoning Aptitude
This section tests the candidate’s ability to solve tricky questions within the stipulated time. The questions are both verbal and non-verbal types. Some of the important topics are:
Judgement and decision making
- Number series
- Coding and Decoding
- Blood relations
- Direction Test
- Statement and conclusion
- Venn Diagrams
- Decoding and Classification
SSC CGL Syllabus for Quantitative Aptitude
Given below are some major topics from the quantitative aptitude:
- Square roots
- Complementary Angles
- Geometry and Mensuration
- Time and Work
- Graphs of Linear Equations
- Fraction and decimals
- Number System
- Circles and chords
- 3D structures
SSC CGL Syllabus for English Language
- One word substitution
- Spotting Errors
- Idioms and Phrase
- Reading Comprehension
- Spelling Test
SSC CGL Syllabus for Tier-2
SSC CGL tier-ll comprises of four paper i.e. English Language, Quantitative Abilities, General Studies and Statistics. Out of these four paper Statistics and General Studies are not mandatory. The duration for each paper is of 60 minutes.
SSC CGL Tier-2 Syllabus for Quantitative Abilities
This section tests the quantitative abilities of the candidates. Given below are some major topics from the quantitative aptitude:
- Fractions and Decimals
- Number System
- Ratio & Proportions
- Mixture Problems
- Partnership Business
- Time & Work
- Time and Distance
- Graphs of Linear Equation
- Bar Diagram and Pie Chart
SSC CGL Tier-2 Syllabus for English Language
This test is conducted to test the grammatical knowledge of the candidates. Given below there are some important topics on which the candidates are tested:
- Idioms & Phrase
- Antonyms & Synonyms
- Improvement of Sentence
- Shuffling of Sentence parts
- Cloze Passage
- Spotting the Error
Candidates appearing for the SSC CGL exam should go through the above-mentioned topics. This will not only help candidates in having an idea of how to prepare for the exam but also give them an insight on the important topics for the SSC CGL exam.