Planning to have your garden is a good idea. Gardening not only helps to create a beautiful looking space; it also gives you a peaceful abode. People nowadays are opting for different types of gardening methods to make their place appealing and to keep their mind fresh. Well, there is nothing better than having a green space of your own. If you are a beginner in gardening, then these steps are going to be helpful for you to create a beautiful looking garden.
1. Get started- As a beginner, you can be perplexed with the idea of gardening. Don’t fret; if you wish to have a green space, you don’t need to run after having a bigger space. Start with container gardening. Start with the big containers that you have at your place. Use plants which are sturdy and require lesser maintenance, especially if you are new to gardening. This helps in easy growth and will motivate you to advance your gardening skills.
2. Choosing the right plants- Yes, nowadays, the idea of beautiful and productive gardening is prevailing. What we mean here is that you can start with plants like that of tomatoes, chilies, lemons, these are comparatively easy to grow; however, it does require some amount of care. Being a beginner, you might just get perplexed with the idea of having the right plants in your garden so why not start with plants, which are easy to grow, some of the popular choices are tomatoes, peppers, basil, and bush beans. If you are looking for flowering plants, then you can go for sunflowers, roses, Dahlia, foxglove, petunia, etc. But, it’s a treat to see these plants grow from a sapling to a plant producing fruits. Once you get the flair of this, you are ready for the next step.
3. Have the right tools with you- Yes, gardening is not just about planting good looking plants and beautiful flowers; you would also need some tools handy to make your garden look extravagant. Here are the list of tools that are a must:
- Watering can
While the first three help prepares the soil for planting, wheelbarrow helps to clean up. It is important to keep your garden clean. There are different types of wheelbarrow in the market, but if you are looking for the one which is easy to manage and handle, then go for the gas powered wheelbarrow. These are easy to use and can help in transporting much higher weight than the conventional one. It is user-friendly, easy to maneuver as well. You must know that gas powered wheelbarrow is better than others because it is a more efficient and cost-effective way to manage the garden.
5. Restrict the growth of aggressive plants– While gardening, you would have observed that certain plants grow aggressively. These plants may hamper the growth of other plants in your garden. So, if you notice such plants growing in your garden, you must immediately get rid of them.
6. Proper spacing of the plants- It’s important to go for well-spaced planting. For healthy growth of plants, they must be placed at a good distance, such that they can get the right amount of sunlight, water, and space for growth. Overgrown plants create humid conditions which become a breeding ground for many diseases. This will hamper the growth of the plants and will spoil the look of your garden. So, go for proper spacing while planting a sapling.
7. Add fertilizers– For effective growth of plants, its important that you must add fertilizers to it. This will give the plants the right nourishment and nutrient for growth. Just like humans, for the healthy growth of plants, you must give them the right nutrition in the form of fertilizers. This will help in making the plants grow well and also bear flowers. You can opt for organic or natural fertilizers, they are the best for the growth of the plants.
8. Pruning- It is an integral part of gardening. As the plants continue to grow in size, they may sometimes start overshadowing other plants. This will hamper their growth. Moreover, if you wish to create some well-designed hedges or flower beds, you would need regular cutting and pruning of plants. This not only gives them the right shape but also makes them grow well. Gardening scissors are also a must for hobbyist gardeners. Pruning sheers are a must if you are looking for cutting shrubs, flowers, and vines. Make sure that you invest in good quality pruning tools and also follow it regularly. After this, you will be left with a lot of foliage. Hence, you must clean it immediately. Take the help of manually operated wheelbarrow for small gardens and larger ones; you can go for gas powered wheelbarrow.
9. Protect the bulbs– Yes, this is also an important step, especially when you have just planted a bulb. Pests and rodents might just want to take a bit at it. To avoid this hassle, you must spread netting over the planted area. This will keep the pests and rodents at bay and protect the bulbs. You can easily get them in the market. Make sure to have good quality netting, such that it lasts longer.
10. Choose the right place and place them right– You can also get information online or from an expert about the plants which don’t require too much of maintenance. Besides choosing the right plants, it becomes important that you place the plant right. It means that there are some shade-loving plants, others that need a lot of sunlight for growth, and some that need little sunlight. In either of the case, you must know the plants and their growth requirements. Ask the nursery about the same, or read some books about gardening, this will help you in maintaining the garden.
Conclusion– All these steps are helpful if you are starting with gardening. Make sure that you regularly clean the garden and keep the plants healthy for them to grow well.